Ford is asking developers from around the world to come to the aid of the urban commuter by submitting software that helps increase the quality of life now for urban and long-range commuters in cities like Shanghai.
To get started, take a look at the challenge requirements below and visit the Resources page for links to relevant data, APIs, and more. Don’t forget to click the “Register” button to make sure you receive all important challenge updates!
USD$30,000 in prizes
OpenXC Integration Prize
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
This challenge is open to:
- Individuals (who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry); Teams of eligible individuals; Organizations (up to 50 employees)
- Organizations with over 50 employees may compete for the non-cash Large Organization Recognition Award.
Content: Submitted solutions must focus on increasing quality of life for urban and long-range commuters in cities like Shanghai.
Solutions must include a software component such as:
- an SMS or text message delivery to feature phones
- a native smartphone or tablet app (iOS, Android, Blackberry, Kindle, Windows Mobile)
- a web app (mobile or desktop)
- a desktop app (Windows PC, Mac Desktop)
- software running on other hardware (including, but not exclusive to, wearable technology, open source hardware, etc.)
- custom hardware which includes a software component (wearable technology, etc.)
Language: All submission materials must be in English or, if not in English, you must provide an English translation of the demo video, text description, and testing instructions as well as all other written materials submitted.
Supplemental Material: You must submit a demo video (hosted on YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku) that walks through the main functionality of the solution via screencast or video. You must also submit at least one image/screenshot of your working solution.
New & Existing Solutions: Solutions may be newly created or pre-existing. If you are submitting an existing solution (developed prior to this competition), your solution must include new features/functionality added after the submission period began, which specifically aim to increase quality of life for urban and long-range commuters in cities like Shanghai. If you are entering an existing solution, you will be required to explain the new features in the submission form.
How to enter
- Read the Official Rules to confirm you meet all eligibility requirements.
- “Register” to access the submission form and start your draft.
- Create a working solution that meets the requirements above, a demonstration video, and some images to represent your solution.
- Provide a way for us to access your solution.
- Submit before the deadline!
Qianyan Xie, Ph.D.
Future Mobility, AP Portfolio Lead, Ford
Wei Shen, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist, Research, Ford Asia Pacific, Ford
Prof. Hai Jiang
Associate Professor, Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua University
Prof. Ya Zhang
Professor, Big Data & Business Innovation Lab, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Prof. Dihua Sun
Professor, College of Automation, Chongqing University; Director, Chongqing Engineering Research Center of Intelligent Transportation Systems
Vice President, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Ford Motor China
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer.
Potential to increase quality of life for commuters
Includes the extent to which the software could increase quality of life for Shanghai’s urban and long-range commuters.